Oakley S. Walker invented the electromagnetic chuck in 1896, and the following year, he founded the O.S. Walker Company. As imaginative and forward-looking as he was, he couldn’t have foreseen that his company, more than a century later, would be an international leader in the design and manufacture of a wide range of products for light and heavy industry and the applied sciences.
The challenge for Walker Magnetics was to improve the lighting that illuminated both the manufacturing area and the paint room. This would help improve visibility, increase safety, and improve workmanship. The height of the ceilings made it difficult for the pre-existing fluorescent lighting to illuminate the space with adequate light levels. To boost light levels, the bay doors were kept open for both deliveries and to take advantage of natural light. In the wintertime, however, machine lights and flash lights were used to help bring in more light.
THE PRISM SOLUTION
Prism worked with Patti Mullins, Plant Manager, to conduct a comprehensive site evaluation and identified solutions to satisfy the company’s need for better lighting. Prism installed LED highbay lighting, significantly improving the light levels within the manufacturing space. In the paint room, Prism ensured the same environment was captured by matching the new LEDs with the right color temperature to match the existing fixtures. Furthermore, Prism installed motion sensors on the lights, as the paint room was used only intermittently and did not require constant illumination.
The lighting systems installed brought the kWh requirements of the facility down from 128,471 to 53,477, a 58% decrease in electrical consumption.
THE BOTTOM LINE
Prism helped Walker Magnetics receive just under $25,000 in utility incentives from National Grid for the lighting upgrades installed. Walker Magnetics is estimated to reduce its energy consumption by over 74,900 kWh and save over $10,700 a year on its annual energy bills. The company is expected to become cash flow positive in under two years.